The Baptism of the Spirit
Baptism of the Spirit (2:1-13)
- Pentecost is Babel reversed. Jesus makes us righteous and empowers us with the Holy Spirit, our greatest gift, to advance His Kingdom. Pentecost is a Genesis re-commissioning, God calling us to go out and multiply.
- We can learn what it means to be filled with the Spirit by observing the stories of the Old Testament, Moses- power, David - courage, Solomon - wisdom etc.
- We can learn what it means to be filled with the Spirit by observing Jesus life and ministry - The first thing the Spirit does is assurance our our identity...
- Pentecost was marked by wind, fire and tongues. Wind is something we can’t control. Being baptised in the Spirit requires that we surrender to God and also our need to control. As we do he sets our tongues on fire - the kingdom advances through the preaching of the gospel.
- The Baptism of the Spirit is not a formula but can be likened to falling in love, getting married, conceiving and delivering a child. Like Mary, Jesus grows in us and there comes a time when Jesus must come out of us.
- Drugs and Alcohol are counterfeit spirits medicating our fear and emotional pain. We have legitimate needs; drugs, like all sin are an illegitimate means, as we surrender all to God so the Holy Spirit satisfies all our needs and heals all out pain
- We have been designed for a wild adventure with God and this is available every day as we invite him to be part of our life in a real way.
Home group discussion
1. Have you been filled with the Spirit? What are you afraid of? Do you have a blockage like significant un confessed sin? Have you forgiven everyone who has hurt you?
2. What are some of the positive things you can think of in different cultures? Things that represent God well. For example: Zulu people worship freely without the fear of man….Indian people are very hospitable…
3. What is Love? Can you see how being hurt in a relationship can create a fear of intimacy? Do you love yourself? If God loves and accepts you why can’t you love and accept yourself?